Wednesday, March 30, 2011

For Aisling's mind-melting challenge...

More details on that at her blog.

Here is my offering for Aisling's Weekend Writer challenge. 500 word flash fiction. I must clarify that the face to me was a theatrical mask. I could be wrong. But that is the reference I used. It was that or an alien and I went with the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Beyond that, the rest of the items are self-explanatory!



Wherever You Like

By Sommer Marsden

500 words

 

It was easy to imagine trolls under the bridge, Friday thought. She smiled and when he turned suddenly, crowding her, she stopped short.

“Here,” he said.

“This is where you’re taking me?” she laughed.

Todd had said he wanted to take her somewhere special. This was it? The rickety bridge that connected on half of campus to the other.

“Did you expect a hot air balloon?” he teased.

“As if you could get me up in one of those monstrosities.” Friday rolled her eyes.

His hands settled on her waist and she felt that ripple of excitement that always traveled through her whenever Todd touched her.

“Were you expecting a fountain and swans? Maybe a violinist?” He traced her lips with his fingertip and she heard a soft pop as she let her mouth open.

“I hate swans. They scare me,” she said.

He leaned in to kiss her and the lust she felt for him left footprints up her spine. Her need bled like an ink stain under her skin.

“A movie maybe? A play? Comedy or tragedy or a chick flick—perish the thought.” He grinned.

Todd pushed his hands into her hair and tugged her head back for a proper kiss. His lips were warm and soft and his tongue pushed gently into her mouth. She opened for him. When he released her, she was breathing hard. Her vision narrowed and sharpened and she saw as small greenish-brown turtle meandering below the bridge.

She turned her back to him and he leaned against her. His body pressed hard to the back of hers. His arousal evident.

“No. No movie,” she said and her voice was shaky. “And I hate tragedies.”

“As much as swans?”

“Almost,” she laughed.

“What time is it?” Todd asked over her shoulder. He cinched his arms around her waist, holding her tight.

Friday reveled in the feel of a moment and then checked her watch. “Four o’clock.”

“Count it with me,” he said. He turned her and she saw a sly happiness in his green eyes. As always she noted the hazel ring around the very center that she so loved. If eyes were windows to the soul, then Todd’s soul was a gorgeous and wild thing.

“Count what?” But she watched him measure each second that ticked past. At 4:01 he said, “Happy official birth-minute, Friday.”

She grinned at him. “Thank you, sweet man.”

“Welcome to the special place.”

“I still don’t get it.”

“This,” he swept his hand grandly as if he were in a drama or a tragedy, “is the place where I tell you for the first time how very much I love you. More than all the world. Forever.”

She swallowed hard. “I love you, too.” She said it because she did.

Todd kissed her again. “And now,” he chuckled, “I can take you wherever you like.”

She leaned against him and let him wrap his arms around her. “Let’s just stay here. Just for a bit longer.”

3 comments:

  1. Aww...that's sweet!! Thanks for diving in the insane waters with us, Sommer! Maybe we'll see you next week :D
    ~Ais

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed that. I took me back to my first university and the bridge between campuses there. Very Nice.

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?