Saturday, June 4, 2011

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

If you were drinking. Or deaf. After some good coffee, being fed by the man (my fave! Homemade shredded potato pancake) and walking up to the neighborhood flea market, I went shopping with a friend. For pajamas. And basically to troll around doing nothing that involved work. I am trying<~~~that is the operative word, to learn to take weekends off.

Anyhoo, I came home to find trash in my driveway. I mean it's not a big deal or anything. It was one of those cardboard drink totes they give you at fast food restaurants. Only it had gotten wet and smashed flat. Repeatedly. Again, no big deal as this one was raw paper and totally recyclable. The irritating part was that I recognized that trash. It had set in the middle of the road in front of our neighbors' house for a few days.

You may know him...okay, someone like him. He will not claim anything in the street as his own. Or take any responsibility for it. Such as being an adult and walking out and oh...throwing it out. He prefers to kick, fling or nudge it along so it is in front of someone else's house. Or you know, ignore it. He is the same neighbor who shovels snow into the middle of the street and if it is not melted while the sun is up...it turns to ice overnight. Cause that's fucking brilliant, yes?

Anyway, no biggie again. I will recycle it. But the kicker is, I was about to go down and say to the man, "Hey, did you see we are the proud owners of trash that is now ours?" when the neighbor on the other side did his yearly "running of the chainsaws". Always a festive event that I look forward to. He sits out back in the blazing sun, drinks Pabst and fires up his three kajillion chainsaws. Okay, okay so it's not three kajillion, it just feels like it considering the length and volume of this activity. It's probably like fifty. Okay!...three.

Beyond that, it's been super awesome. Flea market, shopping, walking fat dog, hanging out with kids, finishing AWESOME book that I've been reading and then this...




A kick ass five star review for my quickie Allure from SHBR. Awesome! This is the kind of review you print out and keep in your pocket for those days you're convinced you're going to quit being a writer to work the fry station at your local fast food joint. Or is that just me?

Hope your Saturday's been awesome. And a bit more quiet and trash-free than mine.

XOXO
Sommer
p.s. Sometimes I feel like I live in that neighborhood from The 'Burbs. Anyone remember that movie? I fucking loved that movie. ha!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day. Well, apart from the trash and the chainsaws part. LOL

    BTW, I am in love with your cover art for Wanderlust. That is, like, the perfect pic for that story.

    Oh, and I'm totally coming here for my 80's fix from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the great review!

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?