Saturday, August 20, 2011

Perspective


I have some.

Yesterday was the day from hell starting with multiple doctor's visits and an odd phone call. I was going between boy child's doc appt and mine for a broken icky infected toe. Could I be on emergency kid duty should a problem arise with niece and nephews. Sister-in-law was at the hospital.

Nutshell it: After hours and hours and hours of testing at one of the best hospitals in the world, she has an extremely rare brain aneurysm. And she got a warning sign. In her eye.

I can't even describe what that feels like to find out that one of your best friends--someone who has been your sister for the past 16 years--could die.

So, I'm taking a few days off. She's stable and we are all awaiting the return of her husband who'd been deployed. It will be a good thing for her to go into this surgery with him home. And we've been told her odds are very good.

Now, I am not religious. In fact, I have a large grudge against the God I was brought up to believe in. We don't see eye to eye, the two of us. But I do believe in energy and the power of intention and good thought. I believe, maybe foolishly or otherwise, that even total strangers can hold a positive thought for her and all of us in this family and that it can help.

Last week I was worried that my ass was too fat in vacation pictures and my eyes looked too squinty in that shot and my hair looked funny in that one. I actually cried because someone did not like my book and someone else thought it was just okay.

Like I said--perspective--I have it. My ass is fine, my eyes are fine, my hair is fine. An okay rating or even a bad one is just a fucking opinion and as my mother has said if given enough adult beverages:

Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one.

Right now all that matters in the world to me is my family. All that matters is that a wonderful, (and yes, God fearing church going) mother of three who has given the military her husband more than once and is always, always ALWAYS there to help anyone who needs it...is okay. Heals. Lives. Stays with us for many, many more years.

So if you can spare her a thought and a whisper to whatever energy/Deity/God you believe in, I'd appreciate it.

XOXO
Sommer

13 comments:

  1. Sending healing energy, Sommer. I believe too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your sister-in-law will be in my thoughts and, yes, prayers. She sounds like a wonderful woman who has given so much to so many. And though we've never met in person, I consider you a great friend, so I'm here for you for thoughts, prayers and anything else I can do for you. Actually, you were one of my first online friends, and you've been an inspiration. So, as I said, I'm here for you. *Hugz*

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my energy and thoughts are with you and your family. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try really hard to remember that, at the end of our days, it will be only our relationships that matter. The rest is just sub-plot.

    Sending positive thoughts, energy, and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sommer. I send my most heartfelt wishes for her recovery. I am sorry to hear of her illness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much love to you and yours. Perspective is a fine thing, but why must the gaining of it always be so harsh? Thinking of you xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. :) My brother-in-law is home from his deployment on emergency medical release. He's with her and we're all just hanging tight until surgery. I know she feels much better that he's home. I can't imagine even attempting to weather something so scary with out my man, so I'm thrilled for her that hers is here where he needs to be.

    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sending abundant prayers to your dear friend and what a gift it is to have one that you think so much of.

    My best goes out to you as well, as you stick by her and be there for her children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best to you and your sister-and-law and the rest of the family in this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending lots of well wishes to your family. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks. she's back at the hospital. went after midnight. the pain got worse. surgery could take place at any time. we just don't know. very stressful and a maddening holding pattern. i have to stop myself and try and remember how *she* must be feeling to give myself some (more) perspective. but he's home now. My BIL and he's with her. so that's the number one important thing.

    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete
  12. {{{{{ HUGS }}}}} and best wishes to you, your SIL, and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?