Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Punchline

This is it. Final post on this topic, I swear. But I do tend to take things into my heart and let them poison me, so I'm determined not to do that here. I woke to find myself on Twitter and FB this morning, etc. No problem. It happens. Usually good, but I can tolerate otherwise. The topic being the post two posts below (You Don't Shit Where You Eat).

Yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, heated back and forths ensued. So, in the midst, a very kind-hearted sweet person I've known forever emailed me and basically asked, "Oh my god. Which of your writers have given bad reviews to your books?"

Ready?

None. NOT ONE SINGLE WRITER OF MINE HAS EVER GIVEN A POOR REVIEW TO ONE OF MY ANTHOLOGIES.

So why did I blog about it? Two reasons.

1. Solidarity with one of my favorite writers/editor/friends ever. Because I've seen it happen to her. And other wonderful editors. It always leaves me an interesting mix of angry and bewildered.
2. I see it all around me. When it's pointed out to me and when it's not. I've been on goodreads to see a very poor review for an antho only to think..."Wait...wasn't that person in that antho?" And yes. Yes, they were. I've even seen publishers give their own books varying marks. As if to say, yeah, it's a three but we published it...and been flabbergasted.

I think the way writers are treating each other of late is atrocious. The way people have been known to go after each other personally and professionally online is appalling. If I saw women (because they usually are) behaving that way in my neighborhood I'd turn the hose on them.

I've been doing this for 7 years professionally and a lot has changed. Not all of it for the better. I see writers bad mouth one another on a regular basis and I find it distasteful. Not to mention, TO ME PERSONALLY, it reflects poorly on the bad mouther, not the bad mouthee.

That being said, that was the big joke. No one had ever done that to me. I was remarking as a writer AND an editor on what I see going on around me. And I swear after this this blog will be nothing but fucking fluffy bunnies and rainbows. As the man says, "There will be birds and flowers and flutes will be playing..." I am not an aggressive and confrontational person at heart. Any implication that I was 'threatening writers' into only giving good reviews for erotica in general is ridiculous. I prefer you NOT review one of my anthos if you are in it. If you go read what I said word for word you will see I was referring ONLY to writers bad mouthing books they appear in. And the odds they will probably have with said editor after the fact.

If what I said offended you and you choose not to read me, submit to me, tweet at me or FB befriend me, then I'm very sorry but that's your right and I wish you well. I was not out to gain or lose anything, I was expressing upset at a trend I see happening all around me. One that wasn't there when I started writing erotica.

I will not change what I said, however, or how I feel. We live in a society where we don't give it a second thought to dismiss eachother's hard work. And I'm saying, maybe we should think twice. Maybe even three times.

That's all. I'm done. And to prove it, here is a fluffy bunny:


Vulture Bunny

















XOXO
Sommer

4 comments:

  1. Ah, to complete the quote, "There will be birds and flowers, and flutes will be playing and at the end you will be so happy you are farting rainbows." I forgot I said that. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to fart. Not even rainbows ;P

    loveyoume

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I review a book or story, I think about how much struggle I've gone through to just get something submitted. I remember the pain and frustration... and I typically don't get accepted. The idea of diminishing someone's effort by being negative just seems cruel to me.

    Now, I try to give reviews that I feel are honest and include both good and bad elements. I have given 1 star reviews but mostly they are 4 +/- 1 and they will probably always average out that way.

    It's hard though. Getting in an anthology is kind of a secret club, a one-time deal that no one else will ever enter. I'd rather cherish them instead of ruining that special connection with only a few distinct people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give awesome review! :P I love reading. I can always find something to appreciate about a book. Example - if the plot line is too thin or just simply too out there, I will probably enjoy the character development. I've done my best to never give a negative review, because like t'sade, I know what it's like to not have a piece accepted. I know what it's like to work on something so hard, and have it rejected.

    That being said, only one book I've ever read had earned a bad review from me, and I didn't bother posting because it's a classic. I found The Picture of Dorian Gray to be so horrible that I applauded when I finished it. (hmmmm Gray, Grey - maybe there's a pattern?)

    BTW - I read the "fucking fluffy bunnies" as "fluffy fucking bunnies". A slight difference in context. he he he

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?