Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Story Behind the Story: Alison Tyler

Today we have the most awesome Alison Tyler. When I was asked to do this zombie book, I knew I wanted her in the book. I also knew zombies weren't her thing per se. I also knew she would find a clever, enticing way to um...skirt the issue, if you will. And she did! She never fails to amaze me :)

XOXO
Sommer



Confession time: I'm easily scared. Boo! See? That scared me. I haven't even seen a (bloodied, gruesome) handful of Zombie films in my life. In fact, you can count the Zombie flicks I have seen on two (disembodied) fingers: Night of the Living Dead and the spoof Shaun of the Dead. That said, as soon as the excellent editor Sommer Marsden put out the call for Zombie erotic fiction, I knew what I had to write.

"Head Full of Zombie" is a line from a Men at Work song that is (oh, dear lord) about three decades old. My understanding is that the lyric refers to a type of particularly virulent marijuana that was blowing around Australia at the time. (Not that I’d know anything about that, personally.)


I tend to touch themes rather than soak in them — so I wrote a piece about a couple that goes to a drive-in theater to watch Zombie films. (Quick aside: I worship drive-ins, grew up going to them, have spent way too much time in the back seats of cars missing the movies.) While at the theater, Zeke has Jolie hotbox the car—filling the vehicle up with the sweet, fragrant scent of good weed. (Urban dictionary defines a hotbox as "a room or vehicle that contains one or more pot-smokers smoking one or more joints. The exhaled smoke and the smoke coming from the joint, unable to escape, circulates and thus is breathed in and not wasted." Which sounds pretty good to me.)


Not to give away the ending, but as in most Zombie tales, someone definitely gets eaten by the last page of the story.


Called a “Trollop with a Laptop” by East Bay Express, a “Literary Siren” by Good Vibrations, and “over caffeinated” by her favorite local barista, Alison Tyler has made being naughty a full-time job. Her sultry short stories have appeared in more than 100 anthologies including Sex for America, Liaisons, and Bedding Down. In all things important, she remains faithful to her partner of 17 years, but she still can’t choose just one perfume. Find her 24/7 at alisontyler.blogspot.com.

Alison Tyler is currently at work on six different anthologies for Cleis Press (calls for submissions reside on her blog). Her most recent publication is Morning, Noon, and Night out from Cleis Press on 11/13.


2 comments:

  1. Heh. Now I can't get that Men at Work song out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this story was brilliantly done. :D And of course it would be Alison's.

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?