Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Story Behind the Story: Lynn Townsend

Another story that stuck with me, I can still remember it vividly as I type this. Today we hear from Lynn Townsend who penned the story Dead in the Water for Hungry for Love. Woohoo!

XOXO
Sommmer



My first exposure to the macabre genre was a tattered paperback copy of the Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. My cousin - who lived in a by-God Log Cabin out in the middle of nowhere New York with outdoor "plumbing" and no power (her parents were really odd, so it's not her fault) - had swapped it out of the local library's "leave one, take one" book pile. She'd read about two chapters, freaked out, and threw it under her bed. I'd found it there a few weeks later and - being bored out of my MIND - started reading.

I was ten. 

(It is not the place of this writer to comment on the controversy surrounding the Amityville Horror. Whether or not the events are true did not, in the slightest, matter to me. I was fascinated by the book as a story, not as a documentary. That being said, I have read a lot of the surrounding media sensations. It is a true story? I have no idea. I've never really decided if I believe in ghosts or demons. I have had a few "weird" experiences that might be considered paranormal activity... maybe I'll tell you about them someday.)

And I was hooked on the horror genre. 

I grew up in a small, very conservative town. I'm not sure I'd quite say the local residents were suspicious of that new-fangled stuff, "fire" but... they were not particularly open-minded. 

I had to get a permission slip from my parents to check out books from the library in that genre. 

But I read everything I could get my hands on. Rosemary's Baby. The Omen. Stephen King - who had not quite started publishing his laundry list.... 

In an odd twist, reading horror led me to reading Watership Down. (King mentions the book in the Stand, and I went to check it out....) and Watership Down led me to reading Fantasy (the Dragonriders of Pern) and Fantasy led me to Science Fiction (Asimov, Heinlein, Nivens, Brin, Clarke. May I take a moment to recommend Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and The Practice Effect by David Brin as some of the best damn novels I've ever read, ever? Thanks.)

And... oddly enough, the Sci-fi/Fantasy fan club I was a member of in college... introduced me to my best friend. Who much, much later, introduced me to the genre of Romance with my very first romance book being a gift from her. When He was Wicked, by Julia Quinn.

And now... I write erotic/romance stories in steampunk settings (Golden Moment, Deep Breath, Shadow of Kenfig, and Blister Effect) or horror settings (Dead in the Water and W.O.L.) or fantasy settings (Garden Variety).

My upcoming and recent publications include Coming Together: Hungry for Love (Dead in the Water), Ladies of Steampunk Magazine (Deep Breath) and Duty & Desire: Military Erotic Romance (Snake Dance). You can find out more about my writing on my blog, Paid by the Weird http://paidbytheweird.blogspot.com/ or on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LynnTownsendwriter.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommended reads Lynn! I really enjoyed Dead in the Water. Very unusual. And really hot!

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?