Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Just for fun: FIRST UNAPOLOGETIC FICTION WRITING CHALLENGE EVAH!


Twinkling christmas lights

I've been talking on Facebook and Twitter about the writing challenges I've been doing with girl child (she of the 60,000 words in 18 days this year for NaNoWriMo).

First challenge was a YA appropriate Christmas story. I challenged her to a Christmas tale (which she did not want to do). She counter challenged that I join her but I (the dirty word writer) had to write a story YA appropriate (because she's evil). Hmph.

But we had do much fun!

Then we asked boy child to come up with a challenge for us both. He's diabolical so his was: Paranormal Christmas story told from the 1st person POV of Santa.

Gasp!

But we did it. I finished this morning. A lot of folks have remarked on my tweets/updates about how fun it sounds so...HERE'S WHERE YOU COME IN!

The FIRST UNAPOLOGETIC FICTION WRITING CHALLENGE EVAH!

Here's what you do. Use the six words below in a story. The story can be as long or as short as you like. From flash fiction to...the great American novel if you're crazy enough. Post your work on your blog (or somewhere visible online) with a link to this blog. Then come and leave a link to your work in this here comment section below. You have four days!

Words: tinsel, balls, carpet, fuzzy, wind, firetruck

I was going to offer a prize, but a prize is pressure. I want this to be for fun. Like a writing exercise. So I'm still debating if there should be a prize. (Feel free to weigh in, lol)

I know it's an insane time of year to start this, but I find that stressful times like the holidays are when I need some inspiration and a quick burst of writing and creativity the most.

I hope to see a wee little link from you in my comments section before by 12/21 (ya know, if the world doesn't end).

Good luck!

XOXO
Sommer

5 comments:

  1. Done!

    "Christmas Cat Toy" by Giselle Renarde: http://donutsdesires.blogspot.ca/2012/12/brand-new-free-christmas-story-and.html

    Thanks, Sommer! I needed the distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what you're saying is...you don't believe in regifting? ;) Most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll come clean: I got the idea for my story when I found a stocking full of stuff and I couldn't remember if it was stuff I bought for my girl and put away for Christmas, or if it was stuff she gave me last year. No clue.

    So I think I'll learn from my dumb guy's mistake and NOT give my girlfriend gifts she potentially gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok here is mine....it is a little dirty and a little dark. ENJOY! It is titled "Flesh on Fire"
    http://cassidykingston.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/my-entry-for-the-first-unapologetic-fiction-writing-challenge-evah/

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?