Friday, April 26, 2013

If this is true...I'm screwed.

I saw this today on Writer's Write on Facebook. I read it while mainlining coffee and thought damn...if this is true...I'm screwed. Pay attention to # 3. Yeah, that skill...I do not possess the ability to go "from point to point in an orderly sequence." And I certainly do not really manage an A to Z approach.


The way I tend to operate is in an A and Z approach. I usually know what happens in A (the beginning) and Z (the end). Um...mostly. I often even know other letters. And some of the letters I'm sure I know but when I get closer to them, yeah, it seems I am WRONG and am simply waiting for the characters to TELL me what's going to happen.

Here's my A-Z chart:

Please don't pay attention to the fact that this chart looks like a murder scene. I watched Hannibal last night and I do write a lot of zombies. So I think it's subconscious.

Anyhoo, the point is, if you do not operate under Asimov's Clear Thought Rule...do not despair. I have many books out in my name and I wrote every single one of them using notes that looked like coked up chicken wrote them and a mental A-Z chart that looks like that.

Everyone's different. Everyone's special. Kumbaya and all that jazz. Happy Friday!

XOXO
Sommer

7 comments:

  1. I've never, ever found any set of "writer rules" that work for all writers.

    King has said that outlines are the last bastion of bad writers who wish they were still doing a master's thesis (paraphrasing) but I know a lot of writers who use them and their stories are just as (if not better than...)

    Your mileage may vary.

    Me, I have this weird tendency to lay out my chapters/parts before I get started. I may move them around, delete, or add, but I always have an idea of how many chapters I will have before I get started

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point exactly! Everyone is different. That's why I get so twitchy when I see the word "all" applied to writers. Unless followed by the words "a bit crazy". Kidding...kidding. Mostly ;)

    Or in this case a generalization. I guess one could read it as "You can still be a writer if you do not possess these qualities. Just you will not be a 'good writer'" ;) LOL
    xoxo
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-Z doesn't work for me either! I spent this week rearranging my novel, because I knew various things that had to happen to/between the characters, but until I reached the ending, I wasn't sure what order they needed to occur. Next week, I'll be filling in the missing transitions and adding two more sex scenes. It's already pretty filthy, but for various reasons the characters communicate better physically than they do with words. (PS: Reading Beast in Me when I can grab a few minutes. Love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See! That is what cracks me up, Teresa. Although my books are usually very linear (I loathe flashbacks and mixing it up--not as a reader, as a writer) the way my brain arrives at it is not linear at all. So go figure!

    I love hearing how other writer's do it (writing I mean. Heh). Some folks' methods boggle my mind. I wonder if I wrote that way if I'd even be able to write a grocery list! LOL.

    And thank you! I loved BiM. I love hearing other people are digging it :D

    XOXO
    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no method to my madness - any of them. LOL. I just write what's in my head. Sometimes it works out, more often than not it doesn't. I get frustrated because I don't always have characters that speak to me, or procedures that I follow. And that results in a lot of orphaned characters, plot lines and ideas.

    But, there is a gem that flows once in awhile. They're short and sweet. Maybe that's the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you find a groove in your writing as you age. I would not be surprised if you find that groove/a certain method and then have oodles of started stories, characters and plot lines to choose from. Perhaps you are just stocking up for winter. ;)

    But I do love me some short and sweet sexy time stories!

    XOXO
    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. A and Z is a pretty good description of my process. I know the beginning, because I start there. And I need to know the end so I have a target to aim for. Otherwise I'll wander around aimlessly without going anywhere. Everything in between I make up as I go along.

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?