Friday, April 19, 2013

Today is one of those days...

That once upon a time would have unhinged me. I suffered from crippling anxiety for years. I was in a long bout of it during 9/11 and remember being stunned and kind of zoned out with massive delayed reactions.

I'll quickly say about 85% of my anxiety (that doctors tried so desperately to throw drugs at for years, though I refused) disappeared when I went gluten free. I will also say that I still have a heavy streak of the anxious kind. However, then and now, something that always helped me during tragic and terrifying events was to hunt down a string of words almost like a mantra, to help me breathe. I always have been a quote hunter. I think it's my English Major genes shining through.

Given what's going on today, I thought this was particularly fitting. It brought me a deep breath and a moment of peace. And it doesn't hurt that it's one of the man's heroes. I'll get points for that, I bet.

This seems so very fitting today. It makes me think of all the people running toward the panic. All the ones who say "I'm here to help". May they all stay safe and keep the innocent safe in the process. May this madness end quickly.:


“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.
But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now
mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

No comments:

Post a Comment

What sayest thou?