Wednesday, May 8, 2013

20 Questions with Giselle Renarde: "Seriously. Those documents are sealed."

It's hump day! Thank goodness, because I am ready for this week to turn into this weekend. Whew.

Today we have the lovely Giselle Renarde. One of my favorite folks online. And a fellow Excessican. And look! We share a favorite YA book. I knew I liked her for a reason. Plus, thanks to her answer to question #11 I now have Peter Gabriel stuck in my head. ;)

XOXO
Sommer
p.s. And not for nothing but is that a fierce book cover down there or what?

1.       Favorite YA book?
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
2.       It’s a meatless meal night. You eat…
Spaghettini with green beans, TVP (textured vegetable protein) and a mountain of cheese. That's what I ate for dinner tonight.
3.       Football or baseball?
Are those... like... sports?
4.       Look at your bookshelf. Top shelf, left to right, what are the first five books you see? No cheating!
Oh jeeze.  There are some plays up there.  Okay here--
-Shakespeare's "As You Like It"
-Beckett's "Endgame"
-Tony Kushner's modern classic "Angels in America"
-"Aman: The Story of a Somali Girl" (an autobiography)
-"Bluebeard's Egg" by Margaret Atwood
5.       Average night. Eat in, eat out, or takeout?
I very rarely leave the house.  Eat in.
6.       Favorite meal to cook?
On nooes... I'm revealing so much of my laziness here.  I used to cook, but I'm only one person and it's not worth preparing a turkey dinner just for me, you know?  I do like making soup from scratch.
7.       Favorite TV show when you were a kid?
Three's Company. 
8.       Favorite TV show now?
Oh, Foyle's War. Absolutely.  Well, I guess it's not on the air anymore, but it's my fave.  I love WWII-era programs.
9.       Best teacher you ever had…
I can't answer that question without getting the individual in question in big trouble.
10.   What did they teach you?
Seriously. Those documents are sealed.
11.   Tell us something you did as a kid that no one/very few people know about.
Oh my gosh, I used to pick up frogs and worms and snakes--anything squirmy. I loved digging in dirt and getting messy.
12.   Tell us something you did this year that no one/very few people know about.
That's hard to answer.  I blog or tweet about so much of my life.  Actually, I finished writing two novels nobody's set eyes on but me.  I haven't even started my own editing process on them yet.  To be honest, I think I'm afraid nobody will buy them and I'll have wasted months of my life.
13.   What one clothing item can you not live without?
Socks.
14.   Zombies, vampires or werewolves?
Vampires. I don't know how you do zombies, Sommer.  They scare the holy fuck out of me.  The first horror movie I ever saw was Night of the Living Dead and it scarred me for life.
15.   Anything you haven’t written about that you desperately want to?
I shy away from historicals because I feel like I don't know enough to write them. Are my self-esteem issues obvious yet?
16.   Anything you’ve written about that you desperately wish you hadn’t?
No, not even "Stacy's Dad Has Got It Going On" which garnered the worst reviews I've ever received.  I'm actually reading it over now, and... I don't know... I still like it.
17.   Do you finish a book that is terrible or put it down?
I try to finish every book I start, but I often don't even finish books I love. I stop when there are two or three pages left.  I guess I don't want them to end.
18.   Do you review terrible books or pass on saying anything at all?
I don't write a lot of book reviews.  Before I was an author, I'm sure I would have written absolutely blood-thirsty ones to prove my cleverness and superiority, but having been on the receiving end of those, I don't think I ever could write one now.  The book would have to be horribly offensive or something.
19.   Do you read reviews of your work?
God no.
20.   Red wine or white wine?
I don't drink anymore, but red wine when I did, with a nice meal. Alcohol makes me sleeeeepy.

Giselle Renarde is a queer Canadian, avid volunteer, contributor to more than 100 short story anthologies, and award-winning author of numerous books, including Anonymous, Nanny State, and My Mistress' Thighs. Read her blog http://donutsdesires.blogspot.com and follow her on Twitter @gisellerenarde.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe...#11 made me giggle! My mom tells a story of when I was six. She was sewing and I came in with one of those yellow plastic peanut butter buckets(anyone remember those?) going "Look mom!" I can't remember what she says she did...scream, yell, jump...but I do remember that I had filled the bottom of that bucket with baby toads. Peepers, as we call them. So many all you could see were little popping bodies, no yellow, at the bottom.

    And I brought them in the house.

    Of course, given the opportunity I might still help a child do that now ;)

    ~A :)

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?