Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Finish Me Off Writing Contest...



The Set Up:
Emily walked quickly down the hallway. Her heels were silenced by the intricately patterned carpet.

Best to hide spills and mishaps…

Excitement pooled in her belly. She wondered where he’d be. She only knew that he was here... at this location. She wondered what he’d look like. How his voice would sound in person. Her scalp tickled with excitement mixed with a healthy dose of anxiety. 

“Breathe,” she said softly to remind herself of the most basic need. Air.

Her leather bag rode heavy on her shoulder, and she tried to remember exactly what she’d put inside. Probably nothing she truly needed for today. Or maybe everything she’d ever need for a day like today. There really was no telling until they were in the moment.

She heard the elevator ding as it arrived. Her phone buzzed in her hip pocket as she rounded the corner and…


The Details:
What you need to do is finish me off. Yeah, it sounds dirty. That’s why I like it! Finish the story I started above (Maximum of 5,000 words—yes that is a FIRM max, no wiggle room. No minimum) and give it a title. Send it to me at sommermarsden[at]gmail[dot]com by June 10th. Again that is a FIRM deadline. No wiggle room. I will pick the top three contestants and post them on my blog. Then I will give the final three to an in house reader and that person (we know it’s the man, right?) will tell me which one is the winner from my three favorite stories. Contest is open to established writers and new writers. All are welcome.

Now, let’s talk prizes. I don’t have them all yet. I plan to do that weird thing I do where I gather odd little things that make me happy to send to the winner. But because I need a good dose of excitement in my life, I will offer a monetary prize as well. It’s not much but it’ll buy you some socks or some coffee or even a CD. $15 dollar prize payable by Paypal (so please make sure you have it). That’s right out of my own shallow pocket along with some other goodies, so make sure you spin me a mighty fine tale. It can be as hot or as mild as you like. Just make it good.

Fine print:


1.    Must be 18 or older to enter. Must be willing to let me post your entry on my blog should it make top three.

2.    Must send your own work and verify it by pasting the statement below into the entry:

I ____your legal name___ writing as ___pen name if applicable__VERIFY THAT I AM 18 OR OLDER AND LEGALLY ABLE TO ENTER THE ‘FINISH ME OFF’ CONTEST. THE WORK PROVIDED IS MY OWN, I OWN IT AND I HAVE THE RIGHT SO SUBMIT IT AS AN ENTRY.

3.    Send your entry by June 10, 2013 and put FINISH ME OFF ENTRY in the Subject line. Send it to me at sommermarsden[at]gmail[dot]com by June 10th

4.    Please paste your entry into the email. Attachments will be deleted unread and you will not be notified.

5.    You must have a PayPal account to accept payment and be willing to provide me with a mailing address for the small prizes I’ll send.

Once I have all entries I will read. I'll announce a probable date to have winners once the contest is closed. You agree to allow the story to stay on my blog for readers as a prize winner/top three. Beyond that, rights are yours.


That’s it! If you’re interested, please whip me up a tale and share this call. Tell your mother and your sister and your brother and your mailman! Or ya know, just tell your fellow writers.

XOXO
Sommer


photo credit: Cristian Mantovani via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment

What sayest thou?