Friday, December 6, 2013

A somewhat NSFW exclusive excerpt from HOLLOW MEN

Thought this might cheer up some dreary-ish Friday afternoons. I love this weather, though. Perfect excuse to hibernate and work and um...not work. Also known as procrastination.

Heh.

(read to the bottom, there's more blog)

Excerpt from Hollow Men by Sommer Marsden NSFW-ish
Dystopian fiction with a steamy twist...

Copyright 2013, Sommer Marsden
Published by Resplendence Publishing, LLC

Unauthorized reproduction or distribution is strictly prohibited

The shower was short and sweet. With the activity on the street, I didn’t allow myself to linger. I toweled off slowly, though, listening for any haunting sounds. At the moment, I heard none.

I watched him. He was leaning casually against the windowsill, shotgun within easy reach, watching. Waiting.

Protecting.

It had been a long time since I’d felt protected by another person. Not since my dad. I hated how much it soothed me to feel someone was looking out for me. For some reason, it felt as if it were failure.

“Take a picture, it lasts longer,” he said, not turning to face me.

I snorted, wrapped the towel around my body. I needed new clothes. “You still saying that? What is it, 1987?”

He grinned but didn’t look at me. “Maybe. In my head. But I wouldn’t have been saying that anyway, smart ass, because I was just born.” Finally, he looked my way. “And so were you.”

“Okay, true. But tres eighties, right?” I moved to the chest of drawers. I had taken over the master bedroom when I wasn’t sleeping in the basement to feel secure. I sorted through clean clothes to find my favorite jeans, a Doctor Who tee that had originally been my dad’s and some wool socks. It was cold as balls upstairs.

I stood there and just watched him some more. The gray daylight washed over him and accented high cheekbones, a strong chin, the chocolate color of his hair. Tossing the clothes on the bed, I moved closer. “Anything?”

Adrenaline and anxiety had been ricocheting around inside of me for hours. I felt wired, as if I’d been zapped by lightning. The hardwood floor was freezing beneath my feet. The wind howled outside as if mimicking the hollows.

“Not right now. They scattered a few minutes ago. I can still hear them, off and on, but not see them. Everything right here seems to be quiet.”

“It has me spooked,” I whispered, moving up close behind him.

“I know. But those seemed transient. I think we can relax.” He smiled at me. His eyes roved over my bare shoulders to my cleavage and down my towel. “At least for a while. It’s fine.” He forced his eyes away. I could tell he didn’t want to which made me happy.

I touched his arm. Soft. Gentle. A stroke of my fingertip. “Thanks.”

“For what?”

I gaped at him. “For saving my life, dumb ass.”

He shrugged, color flooding his face. “It’s nothing you wouldn’t have done for me. I can’t let you get eaten, El. I’m still getting over you.”

The final sentence was the utter truth. It was audible in his inflection. My throat grew tight, and my stomach flexed. I shook my head, meaning to tell him to knock it off. That this world was not built for connections or relationships. People died. People got lost. People relocated, got separated, people disappeared. Often.

Instead, I dropped the towel and murmured, “Keep watch. Keep me safe.”

I sank to my knees on the small throw rug he was standing on, his big, chunky boots looking out of place on the aqua and marine blue swatch of brightness. I pulled at his belt buckle and his button. His zipper almost outsmarted my shaking fingers.

“El—”

“Don’t you tell me I don’t have to,” I growled at him, finally getting the zipper down. “Or so help me god, I’ll bite you.” I rested my forehead on his belly and hooked my fingers in his waistband but didn’t pull it down yet. “I need to do this, Evan. Let me do this. I want to.”

He said nothing. I could feel him breathing. Then he settled a big hand on top of my head, and I felt relief. I smiled. Pulled his jeans down, his boxer briefs, found him with my mouth. I delivered an open mouths kiss to the side of his shaft, breathed in the scent of him almost greedily...

For the rest go HERE. Also, I just showed the man, this is the first book dedicated to him using his name. I have dedicated almost every book I've had published to him. I figured it was about time I used his name. Why not, right?

XOXO
Sommer

No comments:

Post a Comment

What sayest thou?