Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ranty, snow and other fings...


It snowed! As you can see, the fat, red, furry child isn't so sure he likes this much of it. He's older now and well...it's cold!

These were taken about 1/2 way through the storm (after we'd gotten to and back from chemo). All told, I think we got about 10 inches. (Save your penis jokes!)

 Also, pretty mail yesterday despite weather, I'm in this gorgeous book. Love Burns Bright is a collection of lesbian romance stories. My story Waiting for the Harvest originally appeared in Eat Me edited by Alison Tyler.
 Speaking of Alison Tyler, I have a story in her fresh off the presses Twisted. Grab your copy today!Is that not a smoking hot cover? Whew!





Let's see, I haven't blogged in a while so you can see I'm smushing it all in at once. Bet you're wondering about that ranty? When I looked at some of the responses and likes on Facebook I decided to post my morning rant here. So here goes:

I'm going to bitch for a moment about something that will surprise no one given my "Surprise him with a new body" meltdown the other day.

Yesterday at the hospital I was perusing the magazines. People bring in books and magazines and even puzzle books and leave them on a large pair of bookshelves for patients and caregivers. You can borrow and return, look while you're there or simply take them home and keep them. Most people like me bring and take so there is a balance and a new flow of material.

Yesterday I had what can only be described as Cancer Center ADD so I was looking at the magazines. I founds ESPN. I found HOG. I found various other men's magazines. All that appealed to me more than the huge stack of women's magazines which all sported large type titles like DROP THOSE LAST FIVE POUNDS! and FINALLY SHRINK YOUR WAISTLINE. Or HOW TO GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS IN BED and MIRACLE DIET! BEAUTIFUL SKIN! LUSCIOUS HAIR! Apparently, I am weight, hair, skin and the ability to please another person.

This is why the only magazines in my home are Esquire, Food Network, Country Living and Yoga Magazine. I refuse anything labeled specifically as a "Women's Magazine" because apparently I am the only one who realizes I am more than bits: weight, skin, hair, vagina.

What set me off? The ad to my right as I type. "Your Perfect Beauty. She lost 60 lbs, 12 inches on waist, and 7 inches on hips. You can also do it!" Hmm. Let me take a shot at this: You are beautiful right now. If you lose weight you will be beautiful. If you gain weight you will continue to be beautiful. If you shave your head, or braid your hair, if your skin is dry or glowing with dewy youth (heh). If you dress like a model or if you dress like jeans and a tee is your uniform (waves hand) you are beautiful. And if anyone tells you different...punch them in the neck. ~end rant~


Let's see, what else...

I just finished Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill. I have read a lot of his books but this one was a favorite. Definitely a book that you think about in the dark. To you that might not be a good thing, heh, but to me, a book that follows me into the dark is a well written book. I highly recommend it.

About to start Innocence by Dean Koontz. Looks different for him, so we shall see. I even managed to snag a signed copy. I already have a copy of Hideaway with a signed bookplate but this one is actually signed. Good use for Christmas gift money. I just hope it lives up to the hype.

We're currently scrambling to watch all of these: Supernatural, Justified, American Horror Story: Coven, Psych, Teen Wolf, Sleepy Hollow (but it just ended), The Following and many more. We are currently looking forward to: Hannibal, Rizzoli and Isles, Perception and others. I'm drawing a blank. LOL. I was worried we're TV addicts (duh) but as my daughter--wise for her years--said, "I don't think it's so much TV. We're big readers in this house. And you're a writer. I think we're just addicted to storytelling..."

Oh! Thank goodness. :)

Off to shovel. As you can see, I had a lot to say. It's been a while. What are you reading? Watching? Do you have snow? Do you wish you had snow?...Bueller?....Bueller?

XOXO
Sommer
p.s. if you're curious about my use of 'fings', well, then you'll have to read Apartment 16 for yourself.

 

2 comments:

  1. Addicted to storytelling. I like that. Girl child is wise beyond her years (and mine too apparently!)

    Apartment 16 sounds like something I need to read. And yes - all those ads and magazine articles piss me off too, mainly because I allowed them to help contribute to my self-esteem issues when I was younger, and I'm still trying to conquer them today.

    Perception, Rizolli & Isles - both are AWESOME. Didn't get much into Hannibal (even though it's filmed here in T-dot) but am addicted to The Blacklist. James Spader is seriously hot in this one. Intellectually speaking - but you get what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apartment 16 was grand. I think my second favorite of his that I've read so far is Last Days.

    I tried Blacklist. Loved it, but I was going through a "it's ten o'clock I will fall asleep now" phase. So I saw the first half of most episodes and then Zzz...

    Try Hannibal again. Try. It. Again. At firs I was all: Hmm...I don't know. And then I was like: Gah! Hannibal's on. Shut up shut up shut up. LOL

    XOXO
    S

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?