Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 8 brings the delicious Alison Tyler, a tale of publishing and a 9--that's not a typo--9 paperback prize pack!

I was going to tell the same story Alison Tyler tells below. That probably happened because she and I always seem to be on the same wavelength. Even if that's a wavelength most people would never dream of being on! What she did not know until later was when we had our first interaction I went into the sunroom with the man, told him she'd taken the story and promptly burst into tears. That's how badly I wanted to be in that book of hers. My first ever Alison Tyler book. I needed an emotional release after she said yes. LOL

I will also say, though we talk on the phone on a regular basis now, the first time she called me I was a ball of nerves. I seriously felt like I was going on a date. Like I had to change to the nice knickers for the call. Now...I just pick up the phone already in mid-sentence. Ha!

I'm thrilled my best friend I've never met is here to help me celebrate. And boy does she have a doozy of a prize for you!

Our winner from yesterday is Sammi. Sammi, Rose will be in contact. And as always, everyone who commented was tossed in the giant goblet of happiness for a chance to win the $50 Amazon gift card prize pack! Today remember to *leave your email address so we can contact you if you win. You do not want to be caught with your pants down today. We're talking a prize pack of 9 paperbacks here. Oh...my...god. That's a lot of reading to do!

XOXO
Sommer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The First Time

            The first time I ran into Sommer was on New Year’s Day, 2007. She’d subbed me a story for Love At First Sting, and I fell in love with her words. If I’d seen her story in a bar, I would have flirted, bantered, sent over a drink. (A fruity one with a paper parasol.) As it was, I wrote her an acceptance note, she thanked me, I responded, she joked, I thrust, she parried.… I walked out of the office into the living room to tell my man that I was “talking” to someone online I felt I had always known.
            It was an instant friendship—bold and brash from the get-go.
            That was 2007. Holy hell, right? In seven years, I have had the exquisite pleasure of publishing Sommer’s sultry stories in multiple collections. And the thing that always strikes me about her work is how I feel as if I know her characters—the way I felt as if I knew her.
            I can close my eyes and picture the couple in the story “Underpass” that Sommer wrote for J is for Jealousy. I have a mental Polaroid of the concrete, the graffiti, the woman’s dress, the man’s hands. Reading Sommer’s work is a visceral experience for me. I mean to say: I feel her words at my core. They resonate within my head. I cradle the emotions inside me. I wear her dialogue to sleep. She whispers in my dreams.
            That’s how fucking good she is.
            Now, lists are problematic for me, because I’m at that ever-so-forgetful stage of the early 40s. So don’t yell at me if I let something slip through my fingers, but I think the following 30+ collections I’ve edited all feature Sommer’s stories: Love at First Sting, Open for Business, Hurts So Good, Twisted, The Big Book of Bondage, Frenzy, Bound for Trouble, Heat Wave, Three-Way, Slave to Love, Sudden Sex, Morning Noon and Night, Alison’s Wonderland, With This Ring I Thee Bed, 69, I is for Indecent, J is for Jealousy, Slave to Love, Open, Cuffed, Bad Ass, Smart Ass, Kiss My Ass, Happily Ever Anal, Skirting the Issue, Eat Me, Torn, Stocking Up, Playing with Fire, Afternoon Delight, Pleasure Bound, Never Have the Same Sex Twice….
            And even after enjoying all of those stories, I can still get a little electric thrill at re-reading the first words of Sommer’s I ever did:
            West stuck his hand in his jacket pocket, rubbed the paper, removed his hand. He shook his head at himself. He was going to rub a hole in the fucking paper if he kept rubbing it like a worry stone.
            You know, that is truly how I feel about Sommer’s words. I hold them. I put them in my pocket. I rub them with my fingertips. And now you can, too.
            The winner of my give-away will win nine paperback books, each featuring one of Sommer’s stories.
            Happy, happy birthday!
XXX,
Alison Tyler

Visit Alison Tyler at alisontyler.blogspot.com and follow her at twitter.com/alisontyler.


25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy! Thanks and yes, it would be awesome to win. If you want a shot to win it I need you to pop back on and leave your email addy so that if you do win this super amazing prize...we can tell you! Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry thought it added automatically when signed in to google+ Germ4211(at)gmail(dot)com

      Delete
  2. Holy crow, what a prize! Alison, her books, and her blog are so much fun...

    Trix, vitajex(At)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Alison's work and I love yours too!!! Between the two of you I have so many sexy words to read and so much sexy writing to aspire to.

    Jenne, clitical(at)yahoo(dot)Com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a crazy good prize.

    Sommer- I'm a writer in part because I read stories you wrote, in books Alison edited, and realized ' holy hell! There are people like me in the world, people who think about sex like this.' I love that your writing feels real and familiar without ever feeling timid. I think there's something really wonderful in writing stories that don't pretend that the bedroom door closing is the whole story. So thanks for being an inspiration!
    Shannon

    Reed (dot) shannon1 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! *sniffle* That is too sweet :) XOXO

      Delete
  5. Such a wonderful prize, and a lovely story about the way you met. You two are an erotica power couple!

    Xan

    xan_west at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I like it. A power couple. Erotic, no less! :)

      Delete
  6. Big fan of Alison's work, this is quite a treasure!

    Calvin - gtgi12p at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favouritest (yes it's a word ) ladies EVER. Sommer, I know exactly how you felt when you got that first acceptance from Alison. I didn't burst into tears, but I almost did. I think I sat in front of my computer and just stared at that lovely acceptance email.

    Alison, I feel the same about Sommer. I am constantly re-reading her stuff (esp. Wanderlust and Calendar Boys - SO my fave two of hers).

    I love you both - am happy to be here for the celebrations and festivities. I probably have all the books offered as a prize, so how about I don't participate for this round and instead wish the other commenters luck.

    I LOVEZ YOUZE GUYZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love! And I pretty much can look back at any period of the last 9 years and there is your smiling face! You are one of my favorite constants in the erotica community! :) xo

      Delete
    2. Whoops. That should have read Calendar Girl. I'm way past sleep o'clock these days.

      Delete
  8. What an awesome story! Connections like that are a real treasure.

    sammi(at)funwithsammi(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story about how you met

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those friends are few and far between. I think you are both very lucky ladies!
    Kristiknrol at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an amazing prize AND a beautiful story! I'm with Xan on this—you're a total erotica power couple. You two make me smile every time you talk about one another. It's a positively lovely friendship between two powerhouses!

    I'm loving this anniversary celebration, Sommer!

    jadeaurorawaters at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's lovely we were both going to tell the same story... and I like to hear the part I didn't know about before. I'm always delighted to see your name in my inbox or hear your voice on the phone. Maybe someday we'll actually meet in real life!

    XXX,
    AT

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing prize...and what a great story of friendship between two writers I like and respect.

    Teresa

    teresanoelleroberts AT verizon DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of Allison's books, I always have. But, I think I've been pretty clear about that. And I'm loving your birthday, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's a great prize. It's always a good thing when talented people find each other.

    gypsygirl_25(at)Hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its nice to hear about two authors supporting each other and what an awesome prize!

    Shannon
    sabai30705(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I want this prize. I really, really do! Martha quixoticorchid@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been reading Alison Tyler's work for years and through her blog have discovered yours Sommer. I've just completed "The Highest Bidder" and "Justine" and am starting "Calendar Girl" It would be absolutely wonderful to win this prize.

    dariuskarada@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope I'm not too late! (bzarcher@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?