Saturday, August 16, 2014

Sommer's Summer Book Binge...

Instead of apologizing for not having AMST today I'm here to say a few things. First being, I will do my best from here on out to update it as often as possible.  However, the word best to sum up my life right now is "weird" so I can't promise anything beyond that. The second word I guess would be "sad" tied with "stressful". That means I have been reading...a ton. Like a fiend. It is often my only escape/stress reliever.

Since I have no update  on the novel today I figured I'd post a few of the books I've inhaled in the last few weeks. And a word or two about each.

The man's procedure yesterday to put a stent in to relieve his blockage failed. We will be regrouping and planning come Monday. So...life will continue to be weird, sad, stressful AND hectic. So thanks for bearing with me ;)

XOXO
S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Secret Twenty-One I've been a Stephanie Plum fan from the get-go. I read the first book, One for the Money, in the bathtub while 8 months pregnant. I laughed so hard I triggered a long, scary series of Braxton-Hicks contractions. The man thought I had laughed myself into labor. I'm still a fan and I gleefully gobbled this one up to help give me a laugh or two. It delivered.

 




Bird Box  I kept hearing about this book and hearing about this book. Once I read it, I understood why. A horror novel like nothing you've ever read. The author takes imagination and subtlety to a whole new level.





The House of Small Shadows  I've been waiting to read this one for mooooooonths. So when I finally got my hot little hands on it, I devoured it whole. Given how I have a thing about puppets and dolls and small creatures of the toyland variety in general, I was the best victim...I mean reader for this book. Excellent. But it's Adam Nevill so that's really not a shock, is it?






Galveston  Since I watched True Detective beginning to end three times in a row in a matter of weeks I figured reading a book by the man who wrote it might be a smart thing to do. It delivered and then some. Gritty, rough, quotable and then some, you see the bones of TD in Galveston's prose. Fabulous book that will stay with you days after you've finished it.




December Park  Okay, I picked up Malfi's Cradle Lake a while back and inhaled the book  in two days. Even with my then-insane schedule with work, life, the man and his chemo regime. So, since then I've read The Narrows (amazing) and now December Park. I'd tuck it right there with IT and Summer of Night. A coming of age book that showcases some close knit friends battling something bad. Wonderfully written. Magic on the page.








And sometimes life is so big and so intense that one book is not enough. I am, as we speak, flipping back and forth between Hanging Hill by Mo Hayder (another author I discovered by accident this year and I am so glad I did) and Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh. I was/am a huge fan of her blog by the same name and the book is just genius.



If you feel like sharing your reads in the comments, I'd love to hear about them. You never know how you'll find your next fix...I mean read. :)

1 comment:

  1. Speaking for myself, I'm happy to see it when you are able to post an AMST update, and understand completely when you are not. Please don't feel a need to apologize for that. I would hate to see something I understood you to start for your own mental health turn into yet another chore on your to-do list.

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?