Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Spooky, sexy spot #2: David O'Brien

Hi hi! I'm back again today with another Halloween spotlight. This time I've brought you Leaving the Pack by David O'Brien...



Nobody believes in werewolves. 

That's just what Paul McHew and his friends are counting on.

They and their kind roam our city streets: a race of people from whom the terrible legend stems; now living among us invisibly after centuries of persecution through fear and ignorance. Superficially Caucasian but physiologically very different, with lunar rhythms so strong that during the three days of the full moon they are almost completely controlled by their hormonal instincts, you might have cursed them as just another group of brawling youths or drunken gang-bangers. Now at the point of extinction, if they are to survive their existence must remain restricted to mere stories and legend, but, paradoxically, they also must marry outside their society in order to persist.

The responsibility for negotiating this knife-edge is given to Paul, who runs the streets with his friends during the full moon, keeping them out of real trouble and its resultant difficult questions. Having succeeded for years, he finds his real test of leadership comes when he meets Susan, a potential life-mate, to whom he will have to reveal his true identity if he is ever to leave his pack.

10% of the author's royalties will be donated to WWF, the World Wildlife Fund.

About the Author:
I was born in Dublin, studied environmental biology and zoology at University College Dublin, and taught English in Madrid for four years, biology in Boston for seven years and now teach English and science in Pamplona. My non-academic writing is often influenced by science and the natural world. My first novel, Leaving the Pack, was published in May by Tirgearr Publishing. My second novel, Five Days on Ballyboy Beach, was published by the same editorial in September. I will have a novella set in Madrid published there in January. I have had my poems published in several journals and anthologies, such as Albatross, Houseboat, and Misty Mountain Review. I have written non-fiction for magazines and newspapers: most recently about deer watching for Ireland’s Wildlife and deer management for the Irish Wildlife Trust. More of my writing, including blog posts about rewilding and wildlife management, can be found at http://davidjmobrien.wordpress.com/

Buy links:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCYJA78/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KCYJA78&linkCode=as2&tag=tirgeapubli09-20&linkId=T5YLA7DAIAUVQEC3

http://www.tirgearrpublishing.com/authors/OBrien_David/leaving-the-pack.htm

On Halloween: 
 
As an Irishman, who's had more than his share of hospital emergency visits on Hallowe'en, I tend to be very respectful of the night nowadays and take it fairly quietly, staying indoors as my ancestors advised after darkness has really set in. While I don't believe in shape-shifting werewolves, there are enough real evil beings out there to do us malice, and are best kept at arms length - even on the other side of the Atlantic, such as when I wrote the following poem.

                Samhain Spirits

It is now, though far from home, I feel the souls.
The approach of ghosts noted more strongly
Each day, as orange leaves drift down,
They make their presence felt, creating
Vibrations in the very air, more resonant
Than any organ above an empty tabernacle.
Gliding across an ocean to circle about my abode,
Swirling like the smoke from chestnut fires,
The spirits seek their own at Samhain.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks a million for hosting me today, Sommer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, first can I say that I love that cover? And secondly, your story intrigues me. And third, omg you've lived a hell of a life. I'm incredibly jealous.

    Nice choice Miss Sommer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know my publisher will be delighted to know that - we had a long process to get to that design!
      I can't complain about my life - but it fairly mundane day to day!
      The book is on special offer at amazon - 99c! - through the end of the month to mark the publication of my second novel, so now's the time to satisfy your curiosity!
      Thanks again!
      David

      Delete

What sayest thou?