Monday, April 13, 2015

All Aboard the Procrastination Train...


photo credit: 47727 Passes Cheeseman's Green via photopin (license)




If you’ve ever read an interview with yours truly, when they get to the part where they ask for advice for new writers, you’ll see this: Write. Write every day…

Or something similar.

Physician heal thyself!

Lately, I’ve been on the procrastination train. I’m trying to be patient with myself. I try to remember my entire world has shifted, rather quickly, and I need to give myself the understanding I would give another person in my position.

Easier said than done, my friend.

So, what have I been doing? Well, everything I shouldn’t, to be honest.

It sort of goes like this in my head.

I’m only half done this novel due in June. It never takes you this long. You should write…

But there’s a lot left. And only a little time. So, instead how about we…

Sew. Watch Netflix. Watch Prime Instant Video. (Seriously, technology is the devil. We inhaled the final two seasons of Veronica Mars in a week. A week!) Go somewhere with girl child (she’s been on break). Go somewhere else with girl child. Sew some more. Clean. Dance to Uptown Funk for the millionth time. Meditate and do yoga. See if I can get a selfie of myself I like. Sit and stare into space…

The list continues.

How avoiding work because there’s so much and so little time works as time management…I’m not sure. Actually, it doesn’t. But the project seemed so big in so short a time span I figured why not just hide! (That’s logical right?)

So, yesterday, I sat and I used my handy dandy new phone—yeah, as a calculator, *snort*--to figure it out. I have X amount of days and X amount of words. Once the hives from having to do math, even with technological assistance, passed I found that I have to write 647 words a day to get this sucker done on time. Usually, 647 words for me is just a warm up, an appetizer. Luckily, it also seems a reasonable number for me to commit to without freaking myself out.

I’ve already hit the goal for today. Thank goodness. I am not sure, barring the obvious, how my normal work pattern has shifted so quickly. Even when I was a full-time mom, full-time caregiver, full-time writer, full-time everything all at once, I managed to write almost every day. Now I have a lot more time on my hands and I can’t seem to tap into that normally, nearly manic, insane drive.
So, I’m going to be patient. And I’m going to put my head down and get my shit together. Because I must.

I guess in the next interview you’ll see this: “Write. Every day. Unless you can’t. Then take a break, blow of steam, work through your shit, and then disembark the procrastination train and get yourself back on track.”

Tada!

XOXO
Sommer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What sayest thou?