Thursday, May 18, 2017

Kill Your Darlings

                                          *RIP, darlings. Photo by moi :)

I think the first time I read that phrase was in something Stephen King wrote. I have no idea if he's responsible for the phrase, I just know it's a damn fine phrase.

This weekend on Mother's Day girl child, J, and I went to see a movie. I won't name it just in case ;) heh. Spoilers and all. The point is, in said movie, the movie makers took kill your darlings to heart. We lost a character we suddenly loved and wow. Talk about a gut shot.

I told her that I was terrible at killing my darlings. I manage from time to time, but I tend to just fuck with my darlings but end up making things okay for them. My daughter, also a writer...not so much. She is not just a kill your darlings writer, she's an *angry god of apocalyptic proportions and you're lucky if you live to see the end* kind of gal. Bless her stinky little talented heart.

The conversation turned to some books where KYD was employed leaving the reader wounded and fragile. A handful of mine are:

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
Bag of Bones by Stephen King
11/22/63 by Stephen King
Feed by Mira Grant

There are others but those jump to mind. I think as a writer my only truly successful instance IMHO of KYD was My Ending. And then that book actually became a prediction of my personal life on some level. If you've read it, you get it.

What are your KYD books? If you have any, drop me a comment. I'm always looking for new books to read. God knows the thousands in this house aren't enough. *faints* If I've read your favorite and agree I'll come and update the list!

XOXO
Sommer

2 comments:

  1. From a sci-fi/fantasy reader - game of thrones, of course, and I know I've a few others but I'm blanking on the names - I'll have to check my shelf when I get home!

    I think my KYD one would be a story that is unpublished and languishing without a title! Because, yknow, not writing at present :/

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think GRRM is the MASTER of kill your fucking darlings. And their darlings. And the darlings over there. And the ones hiding in the corner... ;)
    You might not be writing but you're ALL-THE-OTHER-STUFFING! :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

What sayest thou?